7.11.2008

Day 14, Have I miscounted?

Today a new tack: a kvetch-less post. Well, somewhat.

I woke up bright and early to the sound of someone waking me up. It would seem that I overslept the first day of the rest of my life, and so I would be riding with Scoth (rhymes with goth). We headed to the much-talked about Baptist church in Seebree. I rewarded myself with coffee.

I don't actually like riding with other people and Scoth is definitely other people. Now, instead of worrying about other cars you have to worry about another bike. Now, instead of replaying Alanis Morisette's Ironic over-and-over again in your brain, you have to talk. Well, we did.

Scoth is actually quite interesting. Quite interesting fact: corn and soy are rotated every year, so the cornfield to my left is next year's soyfield (soyfield? Yes!). Scoth (born Scott I am sure) is a rapid fire drummer from out of Indianapolis. He is vegan -- except for twice a year -- and knows a heck of a lot about golden era punk. Scoth is 37 and so he had to live through Motley Crüe. We can agree that Tommy Lee is a class-A git and a terrible drummer to boot. It is refreshing to talk to somebody from the middle of the country, as some of the types I meet -- yesterday's San Franciscan Free Tibet Atheist being a prime example -- are a bit, erm, coastal.

We made tremendous time as we rolled through the Kentucky bumps. Like the Eskimo before me, I have developed 37 different word for your word hill: dumps, bumps, dulldrumps, rollies, ekg-ers, John Goodman ekg-ers, hilldogs (hills with dogs), coasters, rollers, toupees (hills without concrete on tops), falsies (hills with extra tops), Jayne Mansfields, purples, gummy-dummy-wumdops (try asking an Appalachian thoroughbred about that), moustachios, crumbumplers, and treadhills (hills where the asphalt slowly rolls down against you).

And so dinner at church. I showered, did my laundry, and volunteered to help weed the front lawn. I quickly unvolunteered when I found out that it was nearly 100 out. I had just showered!

So I read the Gospel of John in a hammock with some cats. John is the catchy one that begins, 'In the Beginning there was the word, and, given the letters R S T L N and E, can you guess what that word was for a chance at a set of jetskis and eternal life?'

My favorite line so far goes thusly:

Jesus is at a party and his mom, the virgin, makes this major party foul and blurts that they're out of wine. "4 [son of God] saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come, 5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it."

Not very polite, eh? Verily, verily, verily.

I was saddened to find out I missed the monastery that Thomas Merton stayed at. The atheist told me this. I have never taken a vow of silence, but there are moments on this trip when I remember his words on contemplation and on being Christian to others with some fondness.

I was reminded of that today at dinner. The pastor and his wife and their neighbors took four other cyclists and me into their home and fed us aplenty. Chicken wrapped in bacon in cream (!), ice-cream and cake left over from Florence's 92nd birthday, fresh greens with six different kinds of ranch dressing (!!). Heaven is Cool Cucumber. Whatsoever I could have wanted I had.

We prayed before we ate and I am now convinced prayer aids the digestion. Think about what you're eating, the logistical juggle that gets cucumbers and bacon bits and iceberg lettuce and cherry tomatoes together in a rude mouthful. Enzymes will flow. Thank every miracle.

We talked bike stuff -- I don't know about you but I am sick to death of bike stuff -- and we talked trains. I tried to get Pastor Bob to bite on a question of theology ("Who are these Old Regular Baptist lot anyways?") but he did not take. He was more interested in people which is probably why his church is such a hit. They have ping pong!

We prayed at the end. We joined hands, Violet wished us safety, that God would be with us, that more Americans would travel their country (amen), and that we would have good winds. Since half of us were going different directions, I will assume she meant my half. When we finished praying, she hugged me. That was the first hug I've had in a while and it was lovely.

Say what you will about the Bible, the people who try to live by it in these parts understand charity, kindness, and warmth. So thank you Kentucky on my last day.

Disregard this side note. I have it in here because I thought it...

Something I really wanted to say at dinner because it would have made me look really, really smart: "So the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are all four versions of the same story, huh? That's a bit like Kurosawa's Rashomon."

Something Bob should have said but would be too polite to: "No you pretentious sinner. Rashomon is like the Bible. But goodness you must be really, really smart."

"Well..."

No comments: